Yawata Primary School, Soma City, Fukushima Prefecture, Japan, is rather unique in that, following Japan’s new school curriculum it introduced the teaching of English, but, unlike other schools, it also started to teach its children a local folk music, including traditional tunes. Internationalisation and localisation go hand in hand.
The school exchanges pictures with Hillhead Primary School, Glasgow, Scotland.
Camera: Fumi Nakabachi
Directed and edited by: Yushin Toda
Producer: Fumi Nakabachi and Yushin Toda, Japan Desk Scotland
©Japan Desk Scotland 2014
This was made as part of JDS’s documentary films production.
This has been screened:
(1) on 6 November 2014 at Hillhead Primary School, Glasgow, Scotland;
(2) on 19 September 2016 at the Japanese Club at Cumbernauld Academy, North Lanarkshire, Scotland;
(3) on 6 October 2016 at Carmyle Primary School, Glasgow, Scotland, as part of a workshop on Japan for P6 children;
(4) on 2 November 2016 at Blacklaw Primary School, East Kilbride, Scotland, as part of a workshop on Japan for P7 children;
(5) on 25 November 2016 at Stenhousemuir primary School, Falkirk, Scotland, as part of a workshop on Japan for three P7 classes; and
(6) on 17 March 2017 at New Monkland Primary School, North Lanarkshire, Scotland, as part of a workshop on Japan for two P7 classes.